By Rachel Puryear
If you are a tenant or a landlord in California who has been watching the eviction moratorium anxiously, there are some very recent developments which will be important to know about.
Please note that this information overrides information about the eviction moratorium from my recent July newsletter, as today’s information has just become available.
Here are the key takeaways:
- The eviction moratorium in California is extended until the end of September, 2021.
- The State will now reimburse landlords for 100% of arrears, instead of just 80% – so landlords no longer need to waive 20% of arrears in order to qualify for Emergency Rental Assistance Program (ERAP) funds.
- The period covered by the ERAP is from April 2020, through September 2021.
- For housing providers who have already applied and been approved for ERAP funds for the 80% of rent arrears, no further action is necessary to get the remaining 20% – it will automatically be sent to them.
- If a tenant applied and qualified, but the landlord refused to participate in the ERAP; the tenant will receive 100% of the rental debt, and must pay this to the landlord within fifteen (15) business days. If the landlord chooses not to participate in the ERAP, then they also cannot evict the tenant for rental arrears accrued for the period of April 2020 through September 2021.
- No municipality can extend the eviction moratorium past September 2021. However, a municipality could pass another eviction moratorium after March 2022.
- The ERAP application process has been made a little easier. If you have not already applied in California and need to, click here.
Thank you, dear readers, for reading, following, and sharing. If you enjoy this content and do not already subscribe, please do so here.